This post is from yesterday and it would have been posted yesterday had it not been for Argentine Corn Pie.
Lest I bore you with details, here are the cliffnotes:
1. Themed dinner party – Argentina theme
2. Each couple brings a dish – I chose “veggie/side” option to bring
3. Google search led me to Argentine Corn Pie – sounded easy enough, two pies should be perfect
4. I was sorely mistaken
5. Spent most of the afternoon (thank goodness I started early) working on these damn pies
6. I do not like to cook for good reason – usually doesn’t end well (see past post: Not sure any bitch can cook)
7. First one came out like a charm, second one did not set-up correctly (even though I swear I prepared it exactly the same way) – ceremoniously buried it in my kitchen trash
8. MacGyver ran to the store for me and I made another pie at the last minute
9. Looked iffy but I took it anyway
10. That pie ended up in the kitchen trash of our hostess – we shared the one that turned out beautifully and there was enough alcohol that no one noticed a shortage of Argentine Corn Pie
In closing, I lost almost four hours of my life to Argentine Corn Pie. Lesson learned – next time stick with dessert, buy it at the bakery and fashion a miniature Argentina flag to stick in the middle of it. Done.
I’m grateful that I didn’t let this futile exercise in cooking affect my evening and we had a wonderful time. With age comes great wisdom to not take anything too seriously.
What’s your worst cooking disaster?